The Ibadan explosion’s Emergency Operation Centre has revealed that body parts were discovered amidst the debris at the blast’s epicentre. Prof. Temitope Alonge, Head of the Centre for the Bodija Explosion, made this announcement on Monday.
He provided this information while updating Dr. Dele Alake, the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, who had arrived in Ibadan to assess the situation following the explosions that occurred in various parts of the city.
Alonge expressed that numerous buildings within a 500-meter radius of the explosion had suffered significant damage.
Alonge said: “Many of the buildings within the 500 metres radius did not pass integrity test. We had two fatalities at that time, but on Tuesday night, there were three fatalities. One of them came to help people. Another woman was impaled. Those were identified that day.
“But, on Wednesday, we picked up some body parts. We had to wait for the safety of the medical staff. We were told of a woman, who came out wanting to rescue her mistress.
“Unfortunately, the mistress had been taken to the UCH. She decided to run into the house. She was impaled by the rubbles.”
In response, Alake declared that whoever was responsible for this human-made disaster would face consequences.
The minister expressed astonishment at how the suspected miners were able to store the explosives, which caused havoc for an extended period, without detection.
He also expressed surprise at the notable individuals who resided in a prominent area like Bodija, who had access to the authorities, yet failed to alert them about the presence of such a destructive weapon for such a prolonged period.
Alake said: “There’s no way the residents of this area would not suspect that some one in this area is doing something untoward. They need to report without putting their names but the kernel of the information will be used.”
He noted that Federal Government would not be hasty in making any categorical statement until the forensic report of the investigation was released.