You are currently viewing Tragedy as 500l student dies days to final exams

Tragedy as 500l student dies days to final exams

The academic activities at the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), Ondo state, were disrupted by frustrated students on Friday.

The students halted all activities and gathered at the main entrance of the school to express their anger over the death of their fellow student, Ayomide Akeredolu, who was in his final year.

The students were infuriated by Akeredolu’s death, and they took to blocking the front of the school on the Akure/Ilesha express road for several hours.

This led to commuters and motorists having to find alternative routes as they were unable to pass through.

The students alleged that Akeredolu’s death was a result of the inadequate facilities at the school’s health center.

“He (Akeredolu) slumped while in his hostel at Akindeko Hall of residence and was rushed to the University Health Centre (a proposed University Teaching Hospital), due to the lack of basic amenities, he lost his life at the university clinic” Daily Trust quoted an eyewitness and student of the school as saying.

The student, who spoke in confidence to the newspaper, said similar incident had happened at the clinic before the death of Akeredolu.

“We rushed him to the health centre around 8:30 pm, when we got there, there was a power outage, and throughout the oxygen set up, CPR and injections they gave him, the light wasn’t restored, we had to use our flashlights, it was also hard to believe that there is no backup power supply.

“Sequel to the incident, the health centre refused to attend to another student, a former FUTASU Vice President who was in a critical condition and needed emergency attention but because she wasn’t with her ID CARD, no one attended to her.”

READ ALSO  INEC can’t be compelled to send election results by electronic transmission – Tribunal

But in a swift reaction, the institution’s management, refuted claims that the deceased died at the clinic.

The management authority, which condoled with the family of the deceased, said Akeredolu was brought in dead.

The management, in a statement released by its Spokesman, Adegbenro Adebanjo, said it was important to point out that the protest was not directly related to the death of the student.

Adebanjo however said the students met with the management of the institution and immediate steps were being taken to address the issues raised about the clinic.

“He was brought in dead. Efforts to resuscitate him through Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and oxygen therapy proved abortive. He was subsequently taken to the UNIMED Teaching Hospital, Akure by the medical personnel on duty inside the University ambulance.”

“Understandably, his friends and colleagues are devastated by the sad Development. The management joins them in mourning at this very difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with our students and the bereaved family.

“It is important to point out that the protest was not directly related to the death of the student.

“The representatives of the students, at a meeting with Management called at the behest of the Vice Chancellor, pointed out some lacuna in the process of accessing services at the Health Centre. The Management in the course of the meeting directed that immediate remedial measures be taken to address the lacuna and other issues raised by the students.

“The corrective measures will be reviewed from time to time to ensure that they are being implemented to the letter,and satisfaction of the students.”

Olusola Sorinmade

Skilled and dedicated blogger with over two years experience. I publish posts on news, politics, entertainment, sports, trending gist within Nigeria and beyond. You can reach me at

Leave a Reply